USC account holders have reported receiving phishes similar to the one listed below.
From: noreply [mailto:noreply-quarantine.2017190406023615.6125F15888BE@acr.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017
Subject: Email Quarantine: 21 new messages for [USC NetID]@usc.edu
Dear [USC NetID]@usc.edu
There are 21 new messages in your Email Quarantine since you received your last Notification.
Messages will be automatically removed from the quarantine after 24hours.
To see all quarantined messages view your email quarantine or continue below
Note: This message has been sent by a notification only system. Please do not reply
Please be aware that this is a fraudulent message.
- ITS does not send Office 365 quarantine messages directly to users.
- The message was sent from a non-USC account.
- The URL in the link sends you to a non-USC domain.
If you have received this phish, do not respond or click any of the embedded links. If you have responded or clicked the links, change your USC NetID password immediately by going to the Popular Topics menu bar on the ITS website and clicking the link labelled change your password.
As phishing campaigns become increasingly sophisticated and harder to detect, we urge you to use extreme caution when clicking links in messages or attachments you receive from unknown senders. While antivirus programs may automatically scan messages for embedded malware, they do not automatically scan for malicious links in attachments.
ITS encourages you to consider the following tips when handling suspicious email:
- If you are unable to see or do not recognize a link’s destination URL, do not click the link.
- Never provide personal information, such as your passwords, social security number, or bank information, on a website you access by following a link in an unsolicited email or attachment.
- If you must open an email attachment, first scan it using your antivirus software. To scan an attachment on a PC or Mac running USC’s free Sophos Antivirus, save the attachment to your desktop, right-click the file, and choose Scan with Sophos Antivirus.